Congratulations to the 2018-2019 Carl Cowan Scholarship Winners!

Cecile Gadson
Counseling Psychology
Hometown: South Carolina born, raised in Beavercreek, Ohio

Cecile entered into the Counseling Psychology program at the University of Tennessee in fall 2014 with a M.A. in Counseling Psychology from Towson University and B.A. in Psychology (minor in Women’s Studies) from Winthrop University. Currently she is working under the mentorship of Dr. Jioni Lewis where she is exploring gendered racial microaggressions against Black women in the Race and Racism lab. Specifically, she is working on her dissertation on implicit gendered racism experienced by Black adolescent girls. Clinically, Cecile is interested in working with children and adolescent girls and she is currently training at an integrated health clinic in the Cherokee Health System.  Cecile has served as an instructor of record for general psychology at UT at is the current co-instructor/TA for the Diversity Educator’s course.

Cecile has gained some international travel miles by being a military brat but she was born in South Carolina and is from the Buckeye State (O-H-I-O!). She is a proud Winthrop Ronald E. McNair Scholar (Go Eagles!) and a member in the Oak Ridge Alumnae chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. In her community, Cecile is the leader of her sorority’s mentoring programs for historically under served girls between the ages of 10 to 18 in the Oak Ridge and surrounding Knoxville area.

Xavier Greer
Class of 2019
Accounting
Hometown: Memphis, Tennessee

My name is Xavier Greer and I am a third year Accounting major from Memphis, TN. Spring Semester 2017 I was afforded the opportunity to study abroad in London, England. While across country I was able to participate in a variety of community activities. This past summer I interned with Ernst & Young, one of the Big 4 accounting firms, in San Francisco. While in San Francisco, I was able to work with very popular startup companies and perform the duties of a counselor for the Accounting Career Awareness Program, which is a program for high school minority students looking to adventure into the accounting field. I come from humble beginnings where I graduated from one of the most prestigious boys school in the City of Memphis, Memphis University School (MUS). While there I served as Captain of the Wrestling Team, and Senior Class President. This school molded me and taught me to be a servant leader in many aspects. I was able to learn Spanish fluently, writing and speaking, which afforded me the opportunity to visit Guatemala for three-weeks, during my senior year. This summer Ernst and Young has asked me to intern with them once again. My plan is to graduate from the University of Tennessee, Spring 2019 become a part of the Masters of Accountancy program here at UT which is one of the top  in country.

The ultimate goal is to get my Master’s Degree and sit for the CPA. This puts me in line and moves me closer to obtaining a full-time position with Ernst & Young or another public accounting firm, as I believe it’s good practice to keep your options open. I was raised by a single mother and as she continues to support my educational goals, it’s important for me to take advantage all opportunities as they become available.

Jaylah Radden
Class of 2021
Pre-Med
Hometown: Chattanooga, Tennessee

My name is Jaylah Cheval Nunez-Radden. I am African-American and Dominican. I was born and raised in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and I am the middle child of five siblings. I was raised in a single parent household by my mother. I currently am a freshman at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. I am majoring in Biology with a concentration in pre-medicine. My future aspirations in life are simply to be happy and just live life! I aspire to one day become a pediatric doctor and travel the world helping children in different countries. My passions have always revolved around helping others, working with medicine, and giving back to the community. My mantra in life comes from Jeremiah 29:11 because it helps me to continue working hard and to be the best person I can be in this world. With all my hard work at UT, I am excited to see God’s plan for me.

Report an accessibility barrier